Clock House

 

 clock house

The Clock House was built circa 1855 on the site of the Long Room by Sir Denham Orlando Jephson. He was an amateur architect who is said to have designed this house after he had returned from an Alpine holiday and it is undoubtedly Mallow’s finest example of a half-timbered mock-Tudor construction. The clock was brought from the tower of the old Mallow Castle. The bell was cast at Millerd St, Cork.

The Clock House originally included a licensed premises, the first tenant was Mr Michael Nunan.

The bell tower became too dangerous and had to be removed around 1970. The Clock House had restoration work done in 1996 with the bell tower being returned to its lofty eminence. There are plans in the next few years to restore the whole building to its former grandeur. It is presently empty and in need of attention, but was last occupied by Colman Dalton & Co., a firm of Accountants and Tax Consultants.

In front of the Clock House once stood a water-trough over which was the statue of “The Little Man”. The Right Honourable Judge Johnson who was M.P. for Mallow in 1880, in gratitude to the town’s people, presented the town with a water-trough complete with the little man statue and overhead gaslight. This was a distinguished landmark for many years. But sadly it was unable to survive the hazards of modern traffic so was removed. For the past number of years the Little Man did reside in Tip O’Neill Park in the Spa area of the town. During the flood, relief work in that area the statue was removed for safekeeping until such time as it can once again find a safe home in the town.