Canon Sheehan

 

canon sheehan 

Patrick Augustine Sheehan, who placed Doneraile on the literary map, was born at 29, New Street, Mallow, on 17th March, 1852 (now Maureen's Pub, O'Brien Street). He was educated at the Long Room National School, St. Coleman's College, Fermoy, and at Maynooth and was ordained in Cork on 18th April 1875, by Bishop William Delany. Fr. Sheehan served for a time in the Diocese of Plymouth, UK. He was curate in Mallow from 1877 to 1881 and in Cobh (then Queenstown) from 1887 to July 1895 when he became Parish Priest of Doneraile. Here between 1895 - 1910, he published fifteen volumes of his works and at the same time took a prominent part in negotiations for the Wyndhem Land Purchase Act and applied himself particularly to educational work.

 

canon sheehanplate 

Canon Sheehan was a Racial Philosopher whose ambition was to save Ireland intellectually, and he was an ice-breaker in that he was among the first of the Clerics to wield the pen as an author and to appreciate the importance of the printed word. William O'Brien recognised him as 'one of the truest men of genius who have-illustrated the Irish name and one of the truest saints who ever sanctified the Irish Soil'. His native Mallow was the scene for incidents in Canon Sheehan's 'Spoiled Priest' and 'The Graves of Kilmore”. The long meadow of his ‘Glenanaar’ was Mallow Town Park, while his beautiful ‘Moonlight of Memory’ gives glimpses of his boyhood days in Mallow when, many a summer evening, he and his companions watched and envied the little batches of Fenians going up to drill in Buckley's Wood. The beautiful stained glass windows behind the altar of St. Mary's Church are an appropriate memorial to this great Mallow.